TenkaraBum No Vise Challenge - Old Hand
by Martin Powney
BKB and after repair. BG10
Tied a black killer bugger with #14 Orvis 122J, beadhead hook, 6/0 black thread to cover shank, Loctite brush-on to make sure materials do not twist. Marabou and the yarn, held on with copper ultra wire sm.
I should mention that I don't whip finish the wire, just lazy I guess, I wrap 6 times and break off.
Fished with my Suntech Field Master 39 for 3 hours in the afternoon on 3 small ponds in WV.
Caught 25 bluegills / red-ear sunfish 5-10" plus two LM Bass, biggest being 14".
At around fish number 18, the fly started to come apart. So I did some bank-side repairs, unwinding the wire, re-wrapping the yarn, re-winding the wire and trimming the end of the yarn. The repaired but slimmer fly caught another half dozen BGs and the smaller bass.
I used a ketchum release disgorger to remove the hook, which was just inside the month everytime. The clamps tend to damage the fly more I think but, they do make a useful vise!
I still have the fly, hoping to add to the score on trout in the mountains next week.
Walk softly and carry a long stick. - Teddy Roosevelt (almost)
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin
The hooks are sharp.
The coffee's hot.
The fish are slippery when wet.